Elsie is a full time mother of two girls. She is also working to bring her big work into the world: helping people integrate holistic living and technology. She has been providing free yoga classes through her podcast Elsie’s Yoga Class since 2006, and she is a co-host of a podcast about podcasting, The Feed.
So, how does she have time for a daily practice?
Elsie shares the first practice she started with, even with two little girls to care for, and why it’s so important. She also shares the other practices she’s added into her routine and how she manages them with all her other activities.
Elsie shares how she stopped beating herself up for the practices she wasn’t doing, and how she’s made her whole life her practice. Elsie also explains the simple practices she does with her kids to help them get grounded in their bodies so they can be more present and make better choices.
Elsie shows that starting small, where you are, and doing what you can makes all the difference in the world.
In this interview, Elsie shares:
- How she resisted committing to a daily practice, even though she studied yoga for a long time.
- How she dropped all the practices she had after having two babies back to back.
- How she started changing her sleep patterns and why that’s so important.
- The sweet, simple (but not always easy) practices Elsie does every morning (or at least most mornings).
- The experience of oil pulling (even Elsie thought it was “crazy pants” when she first heard about it).
- Her biggest practice now – it’s not about how much time you spend, it’s all about your intention.
- Why showing up for yourself every day in the little things matters so much.
- The experience of watching her kids participate in her yoga classes.
- The practice she does with her kids to help them calm down, be present in their bodies and make better choices.
- Her favorite essential oils for helping her do the same thing.
- The thinking that gets you to stop doing a practice.
- The mindset and action shift so you can continue practicing and eventually reach the practice of your dreams.
- The permission she had to give herself to get started.
- Two simple ideas to get started with your own daily practices.
Resources to connect with Elsie:
- Elsie’s Yoga Kula website – Elsie’s free yoga classes and holistic living resources
- Yogeek.me website – Elsie’s website for the Yoga of Podcasting
- Elsie’s Yoga Class podcast on iTunes and Stitcher
- The Feed podcast on iTunes and Stitcher
Other Resources Shared in this Interview:
- Cate Stillman at yogahealer.com and yogidetox.com – where Elsie learned about Dinacharya, the Ayurvedic morning practices she does
- Cate’s blog post and podcast on oil pulling
- Floracopia website – Elsie uses lavender essential oil with her kids; she also mentioned using Vetiver (very grounding), Breathe Blend (great for respiratory issues) and the blends for the three Ayurvedic doshas (Vata, Pitta and Kapha).
If you enjoyed this episode, I would love it if you would support the show by:
- sharing this episode using the social sharing buttons below.
- subscribing to the show and leaving a rating and review in iTunes. Not sure how? Just follow these simple steps here.
- subscribing to the show in Stitcher.
- subscribing to the show in RSS.
Thanks so much for your support!
I’d love to hear from you. Do you struggle to practice with all the demands of your life? What have you found that works for you? What new ideas do you want to try after listening to Elsie? Please share in the comments below.