Like most people, Natanya found being a parent challenging. While she had wonderful intentions for how she wanted to parent her two sons, she would find herself triggered and not able to hold to those intentions. Add in a major crisis in her marriage, and she wasn’t able to be the present, calm, confident parent that she wanted to be.
She started unintentionally adding simple practices to her day. She took a course in metta (lovingkindness) meditation. A friend taught her a short yoga routine she could fit into spare moments of the day. When the days seemed too much to face, she developed a simple gratitude practice to start her day and shift her energy to a more positive place before her feet even hit the floor.
Eventually, she saw the power of these daily practices, and consciously made them a regular part of her day. She also developed practices she could call on as needed during the day as she felt drained or challenged. She also was able to use some of these practices with her sons to help them move through their challenging times with more ease.
Natanya sees parenting as an intensive (exhausting) spiritual journey, should we choose to accept it. She lives this now through her life as a parent, her personal practices and her work as certified Parenting Coach, supporting other mamas in being present, calm and confident in their parenting.
In this interview, Natanya shares:
- how she didn’t start out with an intention to have a daily practice but just started finding simple practices to add to her day.
- the one practice she relied on to start off her day (and only took 30 seconds).
- how everything started working for her when she found the connection between her work with parents, her own parenting and her personal practices.
- the variety of practices she developed over time to help her be more calm and present.
- good times to use her light meditation (including using it with children).
- the importance for adults and children to learn how to move energy through their bodies.
- how she sees parenting as a moment-by-moment practice.
- how her daily practices have helped her be less triggered with her kids and how that has changed her interactions with them.
- her overall guiding practice – gentleness with herself.
The Practice – Light Meditation
Resources to Connect with Natanya:
- Natanya’s website – natanyalara.com
- Natanya’s email – email@example.com
- Natanya’s article on Elephant Journal
- Natanya on Facebook
- Natanya on Twitter
- Natanya on Pinterest
Other Resources Shared in this Interview:
- Claire Zammit and Katherine Woodward Thomas – Feminine Power class – femininepower.com
If you enjoyed this episode, I would love it if you would support the show by:
- sharing this episode using the social sharing buttons below.
- subscribing to the show and leaving a rating and review in iTunes. Not sure how? Just follow these simple steps here.
- subscribing to the show in Stitcher.
- subscribing to the show in RSS.
Thanks so much for your support!
Do you struggle with being a parent? Did you find any of Natanya’s suggestions helpful? Or do you already have daily practices you use to support yourself in being the parent you want to be? I’d love to hear from you. Please share in the comments below.