Jesse decided to travel the world for a year. He wanted freedom and adventure and to get out of his own little world. Unexpectedly, after a few months, he got bored. It wasn’t that beautiful fantasy of traveling the world and finding himself. Instead, he was listless and unfocused.
At first, he found some other travelers who were listless and bored, too. They drank beers together and got to be right about how traveling the world wasn’t so great after all. That was fun for about a day. Then Jesse realized that if he stayed with these people, that would be all they would do.
So instead, he bought a ticket to Tibet. He met some people who travelled in a different way – engaging with the local people and not following the tourist track. And he started to have experiences that were deeply moving to him. Approaching travel in this different way helped him find what he really wanted – a way of being fully engaged and connected to the world around him.
Jesse continues to travel with this attitude of practice, as well as lead groups of people on trips so they can connect with the experience of travel in a new way. He also shares how this approach to travel has changed his whole life, not just his time away from home.
In this interview, Jesse shares:
- his experience working in Mother Teresa’s Home for the Dying.
- how people’s connection to their electronics keep them from being really present.
- the range of experiences people have on the trips he leads.
- how focusing on his own self-care helped him find his love of his work again.
- how that self-care shows up now in his regular life.
- his adventures as the wandering poet shaman.
- the importance of setting an endpoint when you start a new practice.
- how following any dream will break your heart (and how it’s so very worth it).
- how to create your own travel practice (or find the help you need to travel this way).
- his closing wish for everyone (whether they travel or not).
Resources to Connect with Jesse:
- Jesse’s main site – jessegros.com
- Jesse’s travel programs – insightadventures.com
- Jesse’s breathwork programs – breathworkhealings.com
- Jesse’s book – Your Wild and Precious Life: Adventures in Conscious Creation (affiliate link)
- Jesse on Facebook
- Jesse on LinkedIn
- Jesse on YouTube
Other Resources Shared in this Interview:
If you enjoyed this episode, I would love it if you would support the show by:
- telling your friends.
- sharing this episode using the social sharing buttons below.
- subscribing to the show and leaving a rating and review in iTunes. Not sure how? Just follow these simple steps here.
- subscribing to the show in Stitcher.
- subscribing to the show in RSS.
Thanks so much for your support!
What is your experience with travel? Did you get any ideas and inspiration from Jesse to try next time you travel? Or even try in your everyday life? I’d love to hear from you. Please share in the comments below.